The 11th CSR Dubai Summit held in UAE this week delivered an inspiring mix of CSR presentations and discussions ranging from established programmes by global CSR leaders to inspirational examples of fresh initiatives by young social entrepreneurs.
The conference was attended by over 150 senior leaders of CSR from across the Middle East, North Africa and internationally. Uniting leaders from Government, corporates, NGOs and social enterprise, the event served both to promote the globally respected work that Middle East-based companies are delivering, as well as tackle many of the challenges that all parties face in delivering successful CSR programmes.
Amongst the themes which emerged strongly were:
- Creating shared value for society, the environment and the corporation
- Addressing global challenges from a Middle Eastern perspective
- Driving innovation in CSR
- Working with organizational leadership to create a value proposition and ensure top-down cascading of a CSR strategy
- Engaging the youth in CSR to foster the next generation of social entrepreneurs
- Community engagement in CSR
- Developing multi stakeholder relationships to maximise the impact of CSR initiatives
- Capacity building and enabling NGOs
- Sustainable approaches for regional challenges (health, youth employment)
- The importance and challenges of private/ public/ NGO partnerships in shaping and delivering CSR initiatives
- The role of CSR strategy, planning and project management to ensure the long term sustainability of initiatives after they are launched.
A conclusion drawn from the Summit was the seemingly endless opportunities available to organizations in CSR. However, with differing motivations and areas of foci, reporting on such strategies remains a challenge. Reporting is beneficial to an organization not just in its end product, but in the process of generating a report which enables an organization to objectively evaluate and analysis and therefore, improve on existing systems and processes.
The Islamic Reporting Initiative (IRI) is a context specific mechanism that can support organisations in reporting on their CSR activities. The IRI is not-for-profit organization and has been created to promote the use of triple bottom line reporting as a mechanism for business development and growth, in a context that is aligned with Islamic principles, believes, and values. It serves to responsibly advance economic, social, and environmental opportunity in the Islamic world.
The initiative was launched by international sustainability consultancy EMG, after more than a decade of working with some of the world’s leading businesses, governments and NPOs – many of which are in the Islamic world. Please visit www.islamicreporting.org for more information.
Attendees of the Summit included:
Al Ahli Group * Al Turki Group * Ali Al Ghanim & Sons * American University Of Beirut * Ashraf Electronics * BP * Canon Middle East * Choice To Change Foundation * Daman * Directorate Of Public Works * Dp World * Dubai Health Authority * Dubal * Friends Of Cancer Patients * EMG CSR * Etisalat * Gulf4good * Global Communities * Habitat For Humanity International * Hilton Worldwide * Injaz * Intel Corporation * King Khalid Foundation * King Khalid University * Kuwait Oil * Mbc Group * Ministry Of Education * Nbad * National Water Company * Nestlé * Net Impact * Occidental Petroleum * Oman Oil Co * Ooredoo * Sanofi * Sama Medical Center * Saudi Basic Industries Corporation * Telecommunications Regulatory Authority * Taqa * Unilever * United Nations World Food Program * World CSR Day * Zain Saudi Arabia * Zakum Development Co and many more…
The event also attracted significant media attention and appeared in the following media:
Abu Dhabi Env * Al Bayan * Al Khaleej * Ameinfo * Arabian Business * City7 TV * CNBC Arabia * Dubai TV * Eco Business * Enterpreneur ME * happeningindubai blog * Media Most * Media quest Corp * Neo Promo * Philanthropy Age * Smartarabs * Smartoman * The National * Zawya
CSR Dubai 2014 took place from 18-21 May 2014 at The Address Hotel Dubai Marina, UAE.
The video of the Chairman’s message can be found here